2003 Haro Mirra 540

This project started out as a mess of a bike that was well used and abused. I wish I had the before pics, but it was basically spray bombed black and green. It was very rusty with no grease left in any of the bearings. I sent the frame, fork, bars, and cranks to a friend off of the BMXmuseum website and told him to have at it. This is what he came up with.



I had my friend shave the front 990 mounts to give it that newer look.


Later on in the project I realized that I did not want the original stem polished as I once had thought, so once again I called on my friend to paint the stem in the same scheme.


I purchased these DK high flange 48 hubs from a BMXmuseum member. They have 14mm axles, and as you can see, someone used a die grinder so they could be used in a 3/8" dropout. I called DK, and they happened to have a new axle in stock.


This is a bad picture, but you can see the new axle is installed. 


I built up the wheels using Alienation 440 Rims and Shadow Conspiracy spokes & Nipples. 


Before mounting them to the NOS Haro Multi-Surface II tires and Odyssey rim tape.


I used an Odyssey Evo II in midnight blue, which I think matched the bike quite well. You can see the metal flake in the paint in this picture. 


This picture is out of focus, but you can see the matching Odyssey midnight blue brake lever, and ODI grips. I used a Snafu detangler and Odyssey cables.


As you can see the original cranks were painted to match. Ironically enough Haro came out with a seat that matched the paint scheme perfectly.


I used a DK Goalpost that I already had and a nicely matching Haro seat clamp.


I finished off the drive train with a Profile sprocket, Profile bottom bracket, KMC chain, Primo pedals, and custom crank bolts.




In this picture I still have the stock valve covers, but since then have been replaced with silver and black anodized covers.


Since I was going for a new look, I had the front brake bosses shaved off. It might look a little strange, but I had the original stem cap and bolt painted to match. I used an FSA Pig headset - it is one of my favorites for mid school builds - nice quality and clean looking.






Overall it turned out well. I have earned one trophy with it already, however I think I am a little early when it comes to mid school builds at BMX shows.






1 comment: